Health & Wellness
Click the cards below to learn more about a specific topic.
The NKFM has a call-line where people with kidney disease and their family members can talk to knowledgeable individuals about living with kidney disease.
A Peer Mentor is an individual with a positive outlook on managing their disease who is committed to providing support to others.
Online and Phone Support
The National Kidney Foundation of Michigan and our collaborative partner, the National Kidney Foundation, offer many online and phone-based resources for people with and at-risk of kidney disease.
Meet Angie Ellis
Participant of Diabetes PATH and Enhance®Fitness!
Fourteen years ago, Inkster resident Angie Ellis was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Angie had been prediabetic for years and lost a brother to diabetes. Following her diagnosis, Angie experienced mood swings, changes in appetite, and weight fluctuation. “I was really upset,” she explains. “It took me awhile to adjust and I’m still adjusting.”
Tips for Navigating Resources
- Connect with a trusted source for information and guidance.
- Use the internet to research resources and explore options.
- Determine if a federal, state, or county resource that assesses your need is available.
- Understand that certain intake and application processes may be required to receive assistance.
- Contact the company or vendor directly to determine if payment plans or internal supports are offered.
- Resources and services may require that you meet specific criteria in order to receive their assistance.
- Resources may be limited at this time so be open to flexible problem solving and developing alternate plans.
- Please be patient as agencies try to meet your needs during this unprecedented time.
For additional information and resources on caring for the whole person, visit our Basic Resources page.
Need additional information on services and events?
Visit the Patient Services page or email email@example.com to talk and get more information!
For help navigating some of the basic needs resources offered through the state, dial 211 or text your zip code to 898211.