The National Kidney Foundation of Michigan is proud to serve the people of Michigan, especially those who have been affected by kidney disease. During these extraordinary times, we know that caring for the whole person is especially important. Click LEARN MORE in the boxes below to find information on resources offered throughout the state.
FINDING YOUR WAY resource guide
Health and Wellness
FINDING YOUR WAY
FINDING YOUR WAY: A Roadmap To Social Systems And Resources In Wayne County The NKFM, with support from the United Way of Southeastern Michigan, has developed an in-depth guide to navigating resources and systems within Wayne County. This guide will assist both clients and professionals in navigating the many resources available.
Tips for Navigating Resources
- Connect with a trusted source for information and guidance.
- Use the internet to research resources and explore options.
- Determine if a federal, state, or county resource that addresses your need is available.
- Understand that certain intake and application processes may be required to receive assistance.
- Contact the company or vendor directly to determine if payment plans or internal supports are offered.
- Resources and services may require that you meet specific criteria in order to receive their assistance.
- Resources may be limited at this time so be open to flexible problem solving and developing alternate plans.
Please be patient as agencies try to meet your needs during this unprecedented time.
Health & Wellness
The National Kidney Foundation of Michigan, along with several partner organizations, offer a number of health and wellness related resources. For questions on the NKFM resources below, email the NKFM's program department. We also offer online and phone support for people living with kidney disease or a chronic illness.
Find links to at-home workouts, online instruction, and in-person classes offered by the NKFM once they have been re-started.
Making healthy food choices can be easy when you have the right tools. Find tip sheets, recipes, and more.
More than one million people in Michigan have chronic kidney disease and many don’t know it. Find out about causes, symptoms, and resources.
One in ten people in Michigan have diabetes and it is the leading preventable cause of kidney disease. The NKFM offers many diabetes prevention and management programs.
Patient Services Support
The National Kidney Foundation of Michigan also offers a wide variety of programs and services that help people with kidney disease learn about their disease, support family members, and receive services when necessary. Our core programs and services include:
Partner organizations throughout Michigan offer assistance to Michigan residents with basic needs.
Housing and Utility Assistance
- FINDING YOUR WAY: A Roadmap To Social Systems And Resources In Wayne County | ENCONTRANDO TU CAMINO
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS)
- State Emergency Relief (SER)
- Michigan United Way 211
- Homeless Shelter Directory
- Salvation Army
- The Society of St. Vincent de Paul
- Michigan Helping Hand
SNAP-Ed at NKFM
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps low-income individuals buy the food they need to stay healthy. To find information on how the NKFM can support you and your SNAP benefits, visit our SNAP-ED at NKFM page.
Legal Aid and Defender Association | 877.964.4700
Michigan Crime Victims Services | 877-251-7373
Michigan Legal Services | 313-964-4130
Disability Rights Michigan | 517-487-1755
Lakeshore Legal Aid’s Counsel and Advocacy Law Line | 888-783-8190
Michigan Veterans Affair Agency | 800-MICH-VET